Sunday, April 8, 2012

Public Health Week, Empowerment Week, Take Back the Night, FD of the Year, VRJ Update, White House Forum, Lilith Fund


Public Health Week

me, Liz

Voices for Reproductive Justice helped table on Monday for Public Health Week. Several organizations tabled at this event. Students were to receive information from five tables of their choice and have representatives from those tables sign off. Then they got to make their own free t-shirt. Liz tabled for most of this, but it was a lot of fun for the short time I was able to help!

Don't worry if you didn't get to see this sweet birth control poster in person; VRJ will be toting it around whenever we table.


Social Work Council's 2nd Annual Empowerment Week


Social Work Council's 2nd Annual Empowerment Week was a huge success! We scheduled Gregory Plaza for four hours on Tuesday and Wednesday, but we handed out all of our goodies in just two hours each day.

Ana, Meredith, me, Angelica, Haley, and Krista on Day 1

Special thanks to Denise for painting our a-frame! I am bummed I didn't get a picture of Denise and Augie tabling on Day 2, but THANK YOU!

And another special thanks to ResistAttack for donating pepper spray, C.A.R.E program for donating female condoms and dental dams, Planned Parenthood/Voices for Reproductive Justice for donating male condoms, UT's Alcohol and Drug Peer Educators for handing out t-shirts and literature on knowing your limit, and UT's Senate of College Councils for funding our t-shirts. 

I can't wait to put this event on next year. Thank you Social Work Council for donating your time and for all of your hard work.


Take Back the Night


I attended my first Take Back the Night on Tuesday. What a powerful experience. Voices Against Violence did a great job coordinating this event. I don't think I would do the event any justice by recapping it in a blog. All I can do is highly encourage you to attend next year.

Angelica, Ruth, Krista, me, and Haley

UT's Senate Financial Director of the Year


Well, the second Senate General Assembly I miss all year, and I am awarded Financial Director of the Year! I really did not think there was a shot in hell I would be nominated by my fellow FD's for this honorable award. When I knew I couldn't attend, I sent Bhargav (the Senate FD) an e-mail asking him to congratulate the winner. The next morning I received this e-mail:

SO STOKED. I went to pick up my award on Friday. 

me, Bhargav

Thank you Bhargav and Carisa for not only giving me a certificate, but a special inspirational photo that I can keep forever. 

Voices for Reproductive Justice


Voices for Reproductive Justice will be tabling on Gregory Plaza this Tuesday, April 10th. Please drop by  for free condom goodie bags, to register to vote, and/or to sign up for our org!

VRJ is also in the works of setting up a pub crawl for the end of April. We will be promoting free STI testing taking place at Planned Parenthood clinics on April 30th.


White House Forum


I received another exciting piece of news this week: I was accepted to the White House Young American Series hosted at UT this Tuesday, April 10th! If you didn't apply but are interested, the event will be live streaming. I don't believe the link has been released yet, but I will post it here as soon as I find out.





Lilith Fund Bowl-a-Thon Fundraiser


If you've been following my blog, you know my original goal for this fundraiser was $100. But with your help, I've raised $486!!! Please help me hit the $500 mark- I only need $14 more! DONATE HERE.

Here's a little more about Lilith - the fund has been around for 10 years.  Its first challenge was to raise $10,000 to begin assisting low-income folks with abortion funding.  Last year, Lilith gave away $80,000 to over 1,000 patients - so the average grant is around $75.  Once clients have an appointment with a clinic and know how much money they need, they call the hotline.  A volunteer responds to their call, provides financial counseling, and ultimately determines the amount of money they can grant to the client.  They work with clinics across Texas from El Paso to Beaumont, as far north as Killeen and south into the RGV.  The TEA Fund is Lilith's "sister" fund for North Texas. 


Other Links






RSVP to the War on Women Rally April 28th at the Capitol.

Check out the We Are Women March website.

Follow me on Twitter




No comments:

Post a Comment